On Wednesday, AbdulRasheed Bawa was appointed by President Bola Tinubu as chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
According to Gist Legit, Bawa’s suspension will allow for thorough investigations into serious allegations made against him.
The allegations focus on misconduct in office by some participants in the fight against corruption.
Additionally, Bawa was instructed to immediately hand over office matters to Mohammed Umar Abba, the agency’s Director of Operations.
In the meantime, it is anticipated that Abba will oversee the affairs of the EFCC Chairman’s office.
Below are 8 things to know about the acting EFCC chairman:
- Mohammed Umar Abba born June 22, 1965, hails from Tudunwada Local Government Area of Kano State.
- He had his first degree from Bayero University, Kano before concluding his one-year national service at the old Anambra State Police Command.
- He enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force and attended the Nigeria Police Academy, Kaduna State, and was commissioned in 1992.
- He was seconded to the Commission in January 2016 to head the Counterterrorism and General Investigations, CTGI, Section at the Headquarters in Abuja.
- Abba was appointed Director of Operations of the EFCC in 2017.
- In 2019, Abba was promoted to the rank of Commissioner of Police.
- On July 9, 2020, Abba stepped in as the Acting Chairman of the Commission. He was the most senior operational officer when the former chairman, Ibrahim Magu, was suspended.
Abba was appointed Acting EFCC Chairman by President Bola Tinubu following the suspension of Bawa over allegations.