Nigeria President , Bola Tinubu issued a directive for the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria to rename selected federal airports after some notable Nigerian heroes.
Gist legit reports that the directive was contained in a memo directed to all FAAN Head of Operations and was issued by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023.
The memo named, “Naming of Federal Airports in favour of some prominent Nigerians” and signed by the Director of Airport Operations, Mrs Joke Olatunji read partyly;
“I am directed to refer a memo with reference number, FMA/T4464/7090/T7B/647 from FAAN on the naming of some federal airports after notable Nigerians.”
While the Port Harcourt Airport was renamed after Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo, the Maiduguri Airport was renamed after the immediate past President Muhammadu Buhari.
Also, the Benin Airport was renamed after late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II, Ebonyi Airport after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo, and the Ibadan Airport after the late Premier of the old Western Region, Ladoke Akintola.
See the full list below:
- Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
- Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
- Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
- Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
- Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
- Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
- Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
- Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
- Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
- Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
- Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
- Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
- Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
- Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha